The rise of ChatGPT-based applications is leading a shift in how content is created, optimized, and discovered. Content creators and SEO professionals must adapt to these changes to stay competitive and ensure their content remains discoverable by AI models and search engines.
In only the past 7 days since March 23, 2023, over 360 applications have been released based on the new ChatGPT-4 API, and more are coming. According to TechCrunch, the first top 10 ChatGPT-based apps have already made over $14 million in just the first few months of 2023.
While ChatGPT-based apps have already significantly changed how users access information, it's unlikely that they will completely "kill" Google or classic SEO in the foreseeable future. Here's why.
NLP AI and search engines are complementary technologies
Native language processing (NLP) AIs like ChatGPT and search engines like Google serve different purposes and use cases. AI-powered conversational assistants can provide quick answers and more personalized experiences, while search engines excel at indexing vast amounts of information and providing a broader range of results. Both technologies can coexist, catering to different user needs.
Diverse information needs
Not all users want brief answers or have the same preferences when seeking information. Many users still prefer browsing through search results and exploring various sources to understand a topic comprehensively. Search engines will continue to play a significant role in meeting these diverse needs.
Evolving SEO landscape
The SEO industry has continually evolved to keep pace with changes in search engine algorithms and user behavior. As AI models like ChatGPT become more prevalent, SEO practices will likely adapt to accommodate these new AI technologies rather than becoming obsolete to increase the likelihood of content being included in AI model outputs.
Continued development of search engines
Google and other search engines are constantly improving their algorithms and incorporating new technologies, like AI and machine learning (ML), to enhance user experience and deliver more accurate, personalized, and engaging search results. These developments will help search engines maintain relevance in the information landscape.
How to make content more likely to be included in AI model output?
So instead of consuming the SEO market, the NLP AIs are expanding it. The real question is – how do we make content more likely to be included in AI model output? Here are some guidelines to increase the likelihood of your content being included in AI model outputs like ChatGPT and applications.
- Authoritative and trustworthy content: Ensure your content is well-researched, accurate, and supported by reliable sources. AI models are likelier to consider content demonstrating expertise, authority, and trustworthiness.
- Clear structuring: Ensure your content is well-organized and easy to understand. Use clear headings, subheadings, and bulleted lists to structure your content according to best practices. AI models prefer content that is easily parsed and digestible.
- Optimize for NLP: AI models use natural language processing (NLP) techniques to understand the content. Writing clearly, concisely, and grammatically correctly will make it easier for the AI models to comprehend and include your content in their outputs.
- Target long-tail keywords: These are longer, more specific keyword phrases that are less competitive but more relevant to your audience. AI models may prioritize content that targets such niche topics, as it can provide more precise and relevant answers.
- Semantic relevance: Create content that is semantically related to your target keywords. AI models analyze the context, synonyms, and related phrases to identify relevant content. Use variations of your primary keyword and incorporate related terms throughout your content.
- Regularly update content: Keep your content fresh with new information or insights. AI models may prioritize content that is regularly updated and contains up-to-date information.
- Create comprehensive content: Cover all aspects of a topic in-depth, providing a one-stop resource for users. AI models often favor content that offers a complete understanding of a subject.
- Use internal and external links: Link to other high-quality, relevant content within your own website and to external authoritative sources. This helps AI models understand the context and credibility of your content.
- Schema markup: Implement structured data using schema.org markup to help AI models better understand and categorize your content. This can increase the likelihood of your content being featured in model outputs.
- Build your online presence: Engage with your target audience, share your content on social media, and collaborate with influencers in your industry. This can increase the visibility of your content and make it more likely to be picked up by AI models.
Remember, these tactics should be used alongside traditional SEO best practices to ensure the overall discoverability of your content by search engines and AI models when building organic traffic pipelines.